Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Looking Back On 2005

Happy 2006 to you all!

Looking back on this past year I have the benefit of 20/20 vision. I guess I’m not unlike most people because I ask myself “was it a good year?” I would have to say that without a doubt 2005 was a good year for my family, for work (both in my civilian job and in my Marine Corps career) and for school (being one class closer to getting a degree).

In my happy family, our 6-year-old daughter continues to advance and impress us with her academic skills in school such as receiving a super reader award and her athletic abilities such as earning herself a brown belt in Taekwondo. She has also taken a fancy to Irish dancing and is currently studying at the local Patrician Brothers facility. Our son, at 3 is also a little dynamo. He started pre-school this year and loves his ABC’s, 123’s, singing songs and playing with friends. He has also been spending the better part of a year testing his boundaries. It has been a learning experience for us all!

My wife and I have continued to build a solid foundation for our children and ourselves as well by meeting another of my “When I return from Iraq goals” by joining a local church. We took a few mini vacations and had some memorable times together with family and friends. I feel that we have spent our time wisely bringing our dear friends closer and ensuring that my wife and children will have a sturdy support group during my upcoming deployment.

The year also brought a touch of sadness to our lives when my unit suffered a combat loss in Iraq. We lost one of our own and were cut deeply by his untimely death. We have, in my opinion, honored our fallen comrade in an exemplary manner and I think that all of us pray that we will never have to do it again. Murphy has a habit of reminding us of our “wishful thinking”. I pray that Murphy and his laws stay out of our business during this upcoming deployment.

Many world changes occurred too. We saw the incredible affects of Mother Nature’s wrath on foreign shores as well as our own. Humanity on the whole responded overwhelmingly and with positive support restoring some of my faith in mankind. We have also seen democratic elections in Iraq and Afghanistan with undeniable success. Even the main stream media had a hard time reporting it. In some cases they didn’t, but when they did I noticed that the general defeatist tones had changed if only slightly for some. I hope this upcoming year will bring good tidings for our friends in both countries.

2005 is also the year in which I started this blog. I hope to keep it going so that my family, friends and supporters will have a glimpse of my daily life and observations in Iraq. I thank you all for your sharing your opinions, wisdom and support. I hope 2006 is a good year for you all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Church, hmmm... Care to share which type? And how did the kids get sold old already? I remember when there was just one.

Anonymous said...

Hello CA Marine...so glad that we are friends and please know that we will be there for your family when you are away! You are one special man and we love and care for you very much! See ya at church! D

Anonymous said...

Your friends have had a good year supporting you and your family in aniticpation of your deployment...that new 60 inch TV will come in handy when your kids want to watch the latest Harry Potter movie!

Anonymous said...

Finally made it into your blog. Very impressive! I look forward to reading more...

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

Congratulations on your new pin.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm so glad to hear that you and yours are looking for a home church. I must say you've changed quite a bit since we first met. There was a time when you didn't care to much for my strong faith in Christ. What's changed? Hmm I hope to one day ask you face to face. We miss you at work and let me just say we heard and saw some pics of your good news and promo. Congrats! You rock! It's Wonderwoman by the way.

CA Marine said...

WW,
in regards to you religion question = stuff happens. Nuff' said.
Semper Fi Wonder Woman