Missed birthdays are not an uncommon occurrence for any man or woman serving their country in these war-torn times. We miss the birthdays of our loved-ones with a little sadness but with great resolve as well. Resolve in knowing that we will do everything humanly possibly to be around for future birthdays. This coming Sunday marks the third missed birthday since my 2nd tour in Iraq started back in March. Coincidentally this Iraq deployment covers the same time period as my last Iraq deployment. So, in succession starting with May I missed my wife’s birthday, in June my daughters and July (Sunday) will mark the passage of my son’s 4th birthday. I am saddened at missing them all, but mostly I am sad because I have missed half of my son’s birthdays serving my country. In his short life I have nearly missed a third of his smiling, walking, potty training and education. I have missed many of his “firsts” (I have missed my share of firsts in my daughter’s life but not her early “firsts”). I missed his first haircut at the hands of his eager older sister (she cut the cute little curly cue off of his forehead). I missed when he first stood. I missed his first tooth and his vocabulary explosion most recently. It makes me sad to think of it but I have missed much of his life. The funny thing is I have sadness but not regret. I don’t regret protecting my nation in its time of need. I don’t regret setting an example for my children that service to one’s nation is at the top of the list just beneath serving God.
I will spend Sunday thinking of home…
Happy 4th birthday son! God willing I’ll be home for your 5th.
Monday, July 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey, big-guy, may the Good Lord bring you back in time for the next one. God bless you and your family for the sacrifices you AND your family are enduring. Many, many Americans truly appreciate your sacrifices.
What a touching entry. I can't imagine what it feels like to be away, but I have such deep admiration for your patriotism and dedication to our country. And so many little boys and girls would be blessed to have a dad like you. You may be millions of miles away, but they know you love them and they will carry that with them always.
We are proud of our camarine. Although I have been there for all the "firsts", it too saddens me that we haven't been able to share them together. But no regrets. Our children are learning the valuable lesson of helping others while making sacrifices to do so. They too are sad by Daddy's absence yet proud and happy that Daddy is helping people gain a better life. There may be more missed birthdays in the future but hopefully that means others there will have an opportunity to have one of their own. With all our love....
camarinewife
May you come home safely and experience the rest of your children's growing-up first hand. Thanks for all you and your good men have done.
Post a Comment