Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Homeward Bound

I will be leaving Iraq very soon. At this point I am starting to reflect on my experiences here in Iraq. It was my second tour in Iraq, the last one being in 2003. For the most part I feel my experiences have been positive and that my Marines and I have made a difference in the lives of the local Iraqi people. We have helped them in their time of need and have worked hard with them on the “teach a man to fish” principle. We have not always been successful. Some of the people just don’t want to learn to fish. By and large we have seen a good number take up their proverbial poles and go to the river and we can honestly say we did the best job we could with what we had. I think many of the locals will be left with a sense that we did a great job and actually cared about what we were doing. I can leave knowing I did all I could and that my Marines did as well. Our families patiently await our return. We are all working on ensuring we make it home safe and sound. Say a few prayers for us.

2 comments:

Miss Insanity said...

More than a few prayers will be said. Just make it home safe, very safe.

Anonymous said...

To the "Lion:" we will welcome you home with open arms and will be very grateful for your efforts and those of your buddy marines.

A great big THANK YOU is in order