I am a free thinking citizen of the United States who VOLUNTEERED to serve my country over 15 years ago, I am not a brain washed killing machine of the US Marines. I love my family, my community, and my country and I would willingly give my life to preserve and defend them.
This blog is my opinion and my account of my day to day life at home and in the combat zone; don’t presume to educate me on my views and how they are improper, incorrect, or unrefined. Take your trash elsewhere!
THIS IS MY BLOG, not yours, if you have an opinion contrary to mine, publish your own damned blog and keep your namby-pamby foreigner ways off of my blog. If you insist on posting on my blog and sharing your words of wisdom to explain why my country, the Greatest Country on God’s green earth, sucks or how I am a robot of destruction I will make sure that all of my friends get a hold of your email address, your blog, or your website and give you a taste of your own medicine. You have been warned!
Finally, I appreciate words of support but if you support me and NOT what I do- YOU DON’T SUPPORT ME! They are NOT exclusive of each other; they are one and the same. If that is offensive to you, sorry the truth hurts…
Monday, July 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
WORD!
This message is to the dear Marine who defends our freedom! Whoever anonymous is you are a coward! Dearest Marine, you are a intelligent person and a gifted writer. I appreciate the honesty of your words and your beliefs. Although I may not think violence or war is always the answer, I stand behind anyone who values supporting their fellow human being and puts their words into action, by putting their life on the line for the safety of another. The question remains: you are in your home and an intruder enters with intent to do harm; do you sit down and have a conversation with this person as to why they have entered your home without an invitation? Do you sit there and discuss the right or wrongness of their action as they wave a weapon around? There will always be a teacher who demonstrates what evil is in this world, who is intent on doing harm to others. Our action is to learn from the lessons of that teacher who inflicts harm, to learn what humans are capable of and not allow it to happen again. The teachers (Stalin, Hitler, Sadam, Bin Laden) who believed that their violent acts were of service to mankind were and must be stopped. Thanks to the armed forces who have taken action and are doing so right now as I write. I cannot change anyone's mind, but I will protect myself, my family and that of my fellow human being. A person's freedom, whose intent is to cause harm, ends and mine begins. They come into my turf or threaten someone I care about on a turf far away, I will defend myself and that person. It is the honorable and ethical thing to do.
For coward: do something kind for your fellow man, volunteer, get out and help someone, do not pontificate without action....
I welcome you comments on my blog and those of your friends, provided they are intelligent and not abusive. Yes, even if they disagree with me, because I welcome discussion and do not fear it. Or take it personally. You may also email me there and I will respond. I wrote some articles on why the Texas Ten Commandments should stay on the courthouse wall, and a meditation on patriotism, which I would welcome your input on.
You are missing the point of blogging if you don't encourage discussion and comment on your blog, and, if you will excuse me, half the fun. If all you want to read are the sycophantic comments like the one above, then it's your loss. You also said that I was a man that John Stuart Mills was English, and you were factually wrong on both counts.
Please remember that namby-pamby foreigners, including my own family, are fighting and dying alongside your comrades. No-one questions your patriotism, but the act of a true patriot is to hold his/her country to account.
I was once very grateful for the presence of US marines when I was in Korea, who stopped someone from sexually assaulting me in Korea. I have nothing but praise for them. That does not mean I think they should be there. Or in Iraq. Alas, I don't feel that gunboat diplomacy doesn't work, but I salute you in your effort to convince me otherwise.
A further point. You are a fighting man, and a brave one. Extend your bravery to engage me intellectually.
What you have written here is a retreat.
John Stuart Mill (May 20, 1806 – May 8, 1873), aka JS Mill, an English philosopher and political economist, was an influential liberal thinker of the 19th century. He was an advocate of utilitarianism, the ethical theory first proposed by his godfather Jeremy Bentham.
John Stuart Mill
Born May 20, 1806
Pentonville, London, England
Died May 8, 1873
Avignon, France
And you are a "Scotsman" in as much as you are part of "mankind".
Right on both counts Lucy.
Unfortunately for you, it's not about who's right but who is civil. You condescension and intellectual pomp are uncivil. If you wish to engage me intellectually, please start by treating me with the same respect I afford of all human beings. That is to say with equality and not the preconceived notion that you are more intelligent than I.
Regards
No, that's not it at all. When I wrote it I was a little perturbed because a particular lass from the northern parts of the UK insists on leavening condescending posts on my blog. I'm just a guy who wants to give my friends, family and the interested readers my insight from the ground side of this conflict with my slant. I don't care to expose myself to insulting comments, but I am trying it out. There may be a point when I just turn that function off. Maybe if I had some intelligent (without insult) posts I would be encouraged to keep that function available.
Thanks for asking and thanks for your service Kim.
Dear Camarine,
Thank you for your corrections: I made a mistake between the work of David Hume (who was a scot) and John Stuart Mill, who, as you correctly state, was English. My apologies for both my error and my tone.
Pointing out that current US geopolitical strategy is only leading to loss of life - military and civilian, is not being condesending. I do not believe, for example, the US government has listened to it's own arabists, or anyone else, in its unjust and relentless pursuit of temporal power.
And you are right, that I do consider myself a citizen of the world, and as such my duty to speak out against oppression and injustice, wheresoever it may be found.
Naturally, it's in everyone's interest if I do so politely.
"O Wad some power the gifie gie us
Tae see oorsel's as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a folly free us
And evil notion..."
Robert Burns, Scottish National Poet.
LJ,
No problem. I can understand that you too have days when you misfire as do I.
The pointing out of a US geopolitical strategy was not was what I was referring to. The comment about the quality of my posts in relation to my rank WAS. That's being condescending. As you may not have realized ( I will give you the benefit of the doubt) that could be construed for condescension or insult I will let it slide. As the tone of your posts in my view has changed considerably we can now begin our debate with hearts and minds engaged. Thanks for understanding in some small way my views. I will do my best to do the same.
You are right to point out injustice and oppression where it may be and I have no problem in many cases agreeing with you in some ways that my government deals with geopolitics poorly. There are some points though, that I am sure we will disagree on. Let’s continue.
I like that quote from Rabbie, and I do understand its importance. Unfortunately when others look at us they do so like any human would, with their own prejudice and preconceived ideas about us.
I try to live by the old Native American adage and “walk a mile in another man’s moccasins” before I make up my mind. It helps me in the work I do, to understand another’s view (civil affairs).
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell
Remember our veterans and their sacrifices.
Join us for the ANNUAL LONG BEACH VETERANS DAY PARADE. visit www.veteransdayparade.com
Amen to any and all who posted a coherent, logical and supportive comment about this post. I have my own blog that is being tracked by REMFs and LEGs. The more you argue with these nitwits, the more they pull quotes from Mother Jones, The Nation, Clinton News I/II, CBS, etc. Screw 'em. Kepp posting. Never give up on YOUR ideas, your THOUGHTS. Tally Ho!
>>Finally, I appreciate words of support but if you support me and NOT what I do- YOU DON’T SUPPORT ME!<<
Truer words were never spoken. Great blog CA Marine! Keep it up!
Well said !!! people who don't support the Marines or any other service member and what they do or what they believe in should leave our country cause the great men and women who defends America are all heros in my eyes.... God bless you all and from a mother veiw please stay safe and take care of yourself.
Alma,
Thank you for your words of appreciation and motivation. It's Americans like you that make me realize that people really do appreciate the job we do.
Post a Comment