Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Call sign Play Dough
Yes, it’s true, a three-year-old can figure out how to start up military vehicles. My son (3), figured out how to do this last weekend much to the amazement and dismay of the Marines who had parked their vehicles near my units training center. They were parked as part of a static display (for people to crawl all over and ogle). The youngling who loves big trucks, tanks, and anything big with wheels or tracks climbed in to a HMMWV (Humvee), a 7-ton truck, and an AAV (Amphibious Assault Vehicle) with the intent to create mayhem. He managed to start both the Humvee and the 7-ton, and was a step away from starting the AAV according to one of the AAV crewmen when one of my sergeants stopped him. He flashed a toothy grin and proceeded to stick gobs of play dough in the controls. Even though he was a little git, the Marines to their credit, allowed him to continue his exploration. He did however earn himself a call sign…”Play dough”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Way to go, big guy.
My great-grandfather fought in the Civil War, my grandfather fought in WWI, my father fought in WWII and I fought in Nam - I even volunteered for a second tour - just like Cindy Sheehen's son, Casey, volunteered to fight in the WAR on Islamofascism.
I mention this, not to pat myself on the back, but to point out the generational commitment to world-wide freedom that has been a "tradition" for many in these great United States.
CA Marine should be commended for continuing this great tradition. After all, if not for his commitment and the commitment of all those who are introducing the next generation to serve honorably in the Armed Foreces of the U.S., who will fight for the rights of the likes of Cindy Sheehen and her ilk?
I know, I know, I am cruel and heartless for saying such a thing about Mrs. Sheehen. No, I am not. I am saddened by the loss of her son's life and I pray for her in this time of sorrow for her. I can not image the pain and sorrow she is experiencing, but to dishonor her son's commitment in such a way should not stop us from criticizing her irreprehensible behavior.
Way to go, big guy!
What a great story! I, too, have a three-year-old who likely would have done the same thing if he had been there...just what your son needs...a co-hort in crime. Needless to say, Camp Pendleton is safer with him in the Northwest!
When he grows up, he can be Commandant of the Corps!
Post a Comment