Thursday, October 20, 2005

Marine Corps Birthday

One of my readers requested info on the Marine Corps Birthday and our annual Birthday Ball celebration. This year marks our 230th birthday and like many Marines I will be celebrating the occasion with members of my unit.

Background:

The Marine Corps was started by a congressional resolution. Towards that end, Congress decided on November 10, 1775 to raise two battalions at Congressional expense:

Resolved: That two Battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors & other Officers as usual in other regiments, that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken that no person be appointed to office or enlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea, when required. That they be enlisted and commissioned for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress. That they be distinguished by the names of the first & second battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered a part of the number, which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of.

Ironically, although this is the celebrated birthday of the Marine Corps, the two Battalions resolved to be formed never were. There is also no evidence to suggest that any Marine ever rose above a rank of major. However, Marine guard detachments were quite quickly recruited and assigned aboard ships. John Hancock, the President of the Continental Congress, appointed Captain Samuel Nicholas the first commandant of the corps. Nichols set up headquarters at the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, and began to recruit Marines with the help of the tavern's proprietor, who received a commission as a captain.

Retired Gunnery Sergeant Dick Gaines has interesting info on the Marine Corps birthday as well: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/truebday.html

More later…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I never meet CA Marine in person after I post this...:)

I served in the Navy during the Viet Nam war and served aboard the USS Winston - LKA 94. We were deployed in and out of DaNang during the end of 1968 and early 1969 - unfortunately the same time John F. Kerry was defending our country with his fearless forays into Cambodia - anyway enough of that fantasy. Did you know J.F. Kerry served in Viet Nam?

On 5 January 1969, however, her (the Winston) troops went ashore in the I Corps combat zone for operations against Viet Cong forces in Operation "Valiant Hunt." That action continued until 12 January but proved to be only a preliminary to Operation "Bold Mariner" which she joined on the 13th. "Bold Mariner" was purported to be the largest amphibious operation of the Vietnam conflict to that date, and Winston participated in it until 25 January.

Her "troops" were a contingent of Marines. Braver men I never met!

I raise this only because the Corps has always been thought of as part of the Navy - you know, like a little brother tagging along. Heh, heh, heh!

On a side note, the city of Long Beach is sponsoring the 10th Annual Long Beach Veterans Day Parade to be help Saturday, November 5th. I would invite all who read this to attend. The over all theme is "to honor those who served." Click my name on the upper left and check out our web site. Or cut and paste this: www.veteransdayparade.com

CA Marine said...

GA,
yes I was aware that J.F. Kerry served in Vietnam. He spent Christmas in Cambodia too! Didn't he write up a couple of medals for himself?

Hey, I'd love to meet you, no worries. I loved your story and thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi Mac!