Today it started. The good-byes that is. I have two days left at my civilian job before reporting in at the base to be activated for the third time since 2001. A good group of work friends treated me to lunch at a good restaurant and a box of gifts for the deployment. It was a barrel of laughs. We were sentimental but still managed to keep out wits and sense of humor. I received books of encouragement, parenting wisdom (to make me feel bad about leaving my kids), positive thought, and prayer. Funny thing is that when I am deployed I am a voracious reader. When I am home I wouldn’t be caught dead doing it (reading that is). Along with the great books came entertaining gifts (read: toys). I’m sure some happy Iraqi kid will be enjoying the Etch A Sketch or the invisible ink game book I was gifted. It was then time for good-byes. I don’t like good-byes. I guess I see them not as good-byes but as see you in a little while. I pray that will be the case. I have the best chance of being blown to smithereens but the friends and family I leave behind aren’t guaranteed 100% survivability when I leave. I guess I’m thinking about them just like they think of me.
I hope I see you again and in one piece.
And so it has started. I remember the last time I left. I had a department “farewell” that felt like a funeral. I know they all wished me well but the feeling was a little eerie. It was mostly silence punctuated by an office mate grabbing a slice of pizza or pouring a drink and uncomfortable glances. I am glad this round of “so longs” has started on the right foot. Most of the people I work with know I have conviction in what I do and what I believe in. Most voice concern for my well-being, the number of times I have been deployed since September 11th, and my “poor wife and kids”. It’s old hat for us, at least for my wife and I. It’s tougher with our kids. It’s challenging trying to explain to your 6 and 3-year-old why you are going back to a place that’s dangerous. I pray that they understand in some small way.
The next two days I get more of the same.
Lunches & farewells
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dude!!! What???!!! You are leaving today? what happened to Spring!? I just ran into you at work like 2 weeks ago and you weren't going to leave until Spring. Oh My God! I want to give you a big hug and farewell before you leave! Call me ok?
Renée
Shows how well you listen....
;-)
May the Good Lord bless you and your family in your absence. Despite what the lefties say, most Americans appreciate your sacrifice - and the lovely Mrs.' sacrifice as well.
Oose!
I should be there with you physically, if I hadn't backed out in 1990. I pray all the functions in our enviroment (Shoten zenjin) protect you. May God send envoys to watch over you and bring you home alive and in one piece of sound mind.
Go and come with blessings.
Always remember ths sound of victory we used to chant as teens, "Heaut! Heaut! Heaut!"
So sad reading your posting of the goodbyes! I was there for your second one; wish I could give you a hug and wish you well this time, too. Guess I'd better find that dehydrater that's down in the basement and get it ready to go again...
I'm proud to brag about you and your patriotism and dedication to protecting our freedom! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Yep, I remember. I too wish I could get a big hug. I'll just have to settle for a long-distance one. I hope you find your dehydrator very soon. I am really looking farword to your home-made jerky. It made it seem like home wasn't so far away if only for a short time. My Marines really enjoyed it too!
Post a Comment