It’s been nearly five weeks since I left the lovely overcast weather of Southern California for the often inhospitable climate of the middle-east, namely Iraq. Our travel here was fairly smooth. Civilian charter to Kuwait and a good ol’ fashioned C-130 ride to my new home for seven months, an air-base in the western part of Anbar province, Iraq. Since that time we have spent a great deal of time with turn-over. The civil affairs unit we relieved had to pass on all the work that was left unfinished due to lack of time. It’s a continuous process from unit to unit in every unit throughout the area of operation in all branches.
Now, we have the proverbial torch. Now it’s our turn to carry on the work we originally started with the invasion and subsequent liberation of the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator. We must continue to pick up broken pieces and mend them. In all the areas we have Marines, it’s the same story. Do what is necessary to earn the trust and confidence of the Iraqi people in order to assist them in self reliance and self governance. It is a difficult task to say the least, but one worthy of endeavor.
In the past few weeks I have been taking various members of my team out to local towns, cities and villages. Assessing the needs of the people and doing my best to fulfill them through the Iraqi government and the tools offered by the U.S. people and our government. I must say that the multitude of items received from home grown groups formed in order to support the effort have been a tremendous boon to our operations. We have delivered much in the way of school supplies, clothing and medical supplies. Many of which were donated by generous Americans in the pursuit of making a difference, if not for the Iraqis then for the servicemen who assist them.
On a personal note, I have been blessed not only on the home front with a wonderful family, but incredibly supportive friends as well. My wife and children continue to spend time with a core group of friends who are dedicated and devoted. For this I am grateful. Words fall far short of the feelings I have for those that support us.
On a leadership note, I have been blessed again with incredible young men as my subordinates and wise sage-men for superiors. I feel as if, with the effort put forth, and guidance provided there is nothing we can’t accomplish.
Semper Fidelis
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ooh-rah! I've been waiting for you to get some time to post and let us know how things are going. A guy at work has a line on some great candies that I want to send to you. Your Latino Marines will recognize them and the rest of the guys will probably like them just as much. It's a secret until I can get them to you!
Saw something interesting in the news the other day: A fellow had a 20mm shell that he'd found somewhere sitting on his desk as a curiosity. One day recently he used it to squish a bug. Guess what? It was a live round! It takes a special person to use a live cartridge as a bug hammer.
Take care, The Archer
As always, it is a treat to hear your side of the story. Sounds as if you have your work cut out for you for the remainder of your stay. I am sure we will read about the continuing adventues as time passes.
Keep your head down!
Post a Comment