Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Purple Heart Lottery

It has been weeks since we received our last indirect
fire, but a conversation I had with one of my Marines
the other day reminded me of my combat humor nickname
for indirect fire (IDF). The first night we were hit
by it I had to account for all of my Marines (as we do
every time) and when I did I asked them if their
lottery numbers had come up. They asked me what
lottery I was referring to and I replied "why, the
Purple Heart Lottery of course". After which I gave a
short explanation referring to indirect fire (rockets
or mortars) as the Purple Heart Lottery. Since then it
has become a popular phrase within our encampment and
continues to grow wherever my Marines or I venture
and receive IDF. Many of the Marines we encounter
share some enthusiasm about the phrase and I feel I
may need to trademark it soon.…

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully none of your men will win the "lottery."

Anonymous said...

Good Lord, I hope you're all Big Losers in that lottery!
On the other hand, I've got a buck riding on Wednesday's mega-millions -- and if all goes well you and your guys will have about a million dollars of beef jerky to split between you!
(Don't all marines prefer dried meat products to cash in the bank?)
Please keep safe, I worry about you and your marines out there, and am so proud of the good work you do. Katie K

Anonymous said...

Hey my man,
Nice to hear that all is well and that you didn't win the PH lottery! Such humor in the face of the endless random violence you face...amazing attitude! The copyright idea is a good one. Do it fast before some one else does! All is well here. You're in our prayers daily. Get the job done, stay safe, come home soon.
Big D

Anonymous said...

Man, only you would manage to find humor in an intense situation. I am sure your group is glad to have you around, and I agree with everyone else... ya'll better lose that lottery!

Continue to do a kick ass job.

MR

Anonymous said...

I know how you hate to lose, bud, but this is one lottery no one needs to win.

I'll head over to the stop-and-rob near my office today and buy a lotto ticket for you. Let that be the lottery you win. (And, yes, I'll hand over any winnings. I know you'd track my butt down if I tried to skate on giving you the loot).

Godspeed

Anonymous said...

No P H for you guys ....OK? We're collecting "rattles" from double teaming the 'varmints' in the back yard and 1 in the garage. We'll give you a ride in our cool '56 Chevy when ya come to visit.
PT

Anonymous said...

Here are your lucky California Lottery numbers for the Wednesday, May 31, drawing:

2, 9, 28, 33, 39. Mega number is 16.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You came close to a winning a few bucks but alas, no dough. Numbers were 9, 15, 23, 39, 44 and mega number 2.

So, you'll have to settle for me buying you brew when we're in the same place -- and no I'm not coming to Iraq.

Anonymous said...

LOL!