Sunday, December 18, 2005

Busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest!

Yes, I’ve done it. I’ve coined a southern euphemism. It’s one of my favorite southern euphemisms actually and that’s how I feel at the moment. As my unit gears up with training necessary to sustain them on their upcoming deployment to Iraq, I as a senior enlisted leader am buried up to my eyeballs in details. De-conflicting training schedules, keeping track of Marines, ensuring that the Marines are using their down time wisely, and ensuring that they have their administrative concerns addressed are just a few of the tasks that consume my daily schedule. It is often times stressful, but taking care of Marines is something I am good at and at the end of the day I can hit the rack knowing I’ve done my best for my Marines. With the help of a stout non-commissioned officer cadre, there is no unit challenge that poses a real threat to us. The days have been long and as a result I have to stay down at the base during the week. My wife has encouraged me to avoid the commute and the stress that goes with it. I am no fun to be around after being in traffic for over an hour. It has been a good decision. Still, when there are events to be at such as the kids Christmas programs at school, I a make a mad dash home to be there. We are gearing up for the holiday break and I am looking forward to more than a weekend off in order to regroup my wits and spend some memorable time with my family. My wife has done an outstanding job decorating our home and bringing about the holiday spirit. This year it really feels like Christmas and I am grateful for being home to celebrate it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please explain to us "readers" how a one-legged man could even compete in an ass-kickin' contest? It's not possible... or is that your point?

Anonymous said...

A similar euphamism is, "Busier than a one-armed paper hanger." Neither saying is meant to indicate that the task is impossible, simply that it is difficult and taking a hell of a lot of attention and work.
What CA Marine is doing is a hell of a difficult job. He's got to get his Marines ready to go over seas and attend to all the little details that need to be taken care of. It's not all bullets and beans, there will likely be people who's personal relationships are on rocky ground due to the deployment. CA Marine has to be sure to the best of his ability that things are good on the homefront so no one is distracted while doing his or her duty. A distracted Marine is one who is a danger to themselves and those around them. I'm sure there is paperwork galore to take care of, too. And, of course, CA Marine has to be sure things are good on his own homefront. Luckily he has a very supportive wife who knows what he's involved in. She'll do her best to keep things on an even keel, and I wouldn't be surprised if she gives a little advice and comfort to some other wives staying here while their men follow their duty.

CA Marine, you're leaving at a bad time :-) Another friend just offered me a Llama 1911 for a good price. I was going to go through you for the paperwork since my hunting license no longer suffices on its own. If I end up getting it we'll get together to put it through its paces when you get back.

Take care, GT

Anonymous said...

Hey, CA Marine needs to make sure he has his Living Trust up to date.